Thursday, December 13, 2012

One Last Thing...

For my final post on the blog, I will be reviewing the movie Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer. I'm sure most of you have seen this classic christmas movie, but have never taken the time to analyze it further. So, for my last post on the blog, here it is:


Produced in 1964, the story starts with two misfits, Hermey the elf that wants to be a dentist, and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. The amount of social rejection experienced by these two characters is staggering, and, when they finally meet, they become fast friends. When the two have finally had enough of being outcasts, they decide to run away. After a short time on the run, the two friends meet Yukon Cornelius, an eccentric prospector in search of silver and gold. The band of three eventually come into contact with the Abominable Snowman, an island of misfit toys, and Rudolph's love interest, Clarice. In the end, Rudolph gets to lead Santa's sleigh through the fog, and Hermey is finally accepted as the dentist he is.


Aside from the plot, what really makes this movie memorable is the animation. Hand-crafted characters that were shot in stop motion give the movie an incredibly authentic and innocent feel. You cannot help but smile when the Abominable Snowman slowly trudges his way towards the gang of misfits in a wholly cartoonish manner. Also, the vibrant colors of the characters and locations contribute to the christmas feel and can only incite more happiness. These two aspects combine to make this movie stand out from the crowd of christmas movies, and still allows it to be relevant 50 years later.


Every year I end up watching this movie, regardless of my age, and it never fails to entertain me. Often, watching movies from your childhood ruins them or reminds you of how easily you were amused back then. However, this movie in particular continues to entertain generations nowadays, and will continue into the future, as well.


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this! It brought me back to my childhood and also put me in the Christmas spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son's name is Rudolf (Rudy), so this movie is extra-special to us. Also, he has a glowing red nose. No. Not really. ;)

    ReplyDelete