Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My Take On the Palmer

     Recently, I visited the Palmer Museum of Art at Penn State with my English 15S class. I frequent the Carnegie Museum of Modern Art back in Pittsburgh, so it was refreshing to see different collections and presentation style at this museum. One piece in particular really stuck out to me, probably because I am easily amused by bright colors and fancy shapes... Anyhow, here's my take on it:

     First of all, the piece is by Dale Chihuly and is pictured below.

Peacock Blue and Yellow Seafoam set with Yellow Lip Wraps

Analysis: When I first approached this piece, I was immediately drawn to the colors, and then noticed the structure afterwards. The smoothness of the glass coupled with the bright contrasting blue and orange (yellow according to the artist) created a very delicate and complex scene. The piece claims that the human brain is wired to compare what it sees to what it knows, in my opinion. I instantly think of an organic, ocean-based plant when I see this piece. However, on paper, it is simply blown glass of various colors and patterns. It reminds me of the types of plants you see when you watch the Discovery Channel simply because my brain wants it to find solid footing with something I know. Also, the rhetorical decision to place it in front of a window allowed it to be illuminated and more transparent than any other piece in the museum, assigning it a distinctly light feel. This could also add to the beach-like ethos appeal of the piece, or create another claim.

     After further review of this piece, it seems like it wouldn't be a stretch to say that it is arguing the fragility of the coral reef. The piece could easily fit into somewhere like this and maintain the same delicacy and beauty of it's organic surroundings. Although it is simply colored, blown glass, it displays the same characteristics of many aspects of coral reefs. It could house fish and sea anemone, as well as survive the temperatures and general climate of a typical reef plant. This could be an incredibly off-track inference made by a freshman in college, but I really think it has some connection to environmental and oceanic life.

     As for the credibility of Dale Chihuly, further investigation reveals that he is widely renowned for his blown glass work and has quite a following. His other works have been exhibited at many museums across the world and he has brought in a reported $26 million worth of sales. Viewing more of his work, as well, helped me understand the significance of the piece at the Palmer. It was placed alone by the stairway, rhetorically assigning it more emphasis than some of the other pieces of pottery placed side by side. Without knowing the credibility of the piece, I just viewed it as another cool piece, but, after further review, it tells me I was privileged to have seen a piece from such an accomplished artist.

Also, the dude has an eye patch - instant credibility in my book.

Closing Thoughts: Overall, the Palmer turned out to be a book that shouldn't be judged by the cover. The building itself seemed small compared to what I had been used to in Pittsburgh. However, upon entering and making my way through the museum, I realized that it contained much more quality art than I expected. I definitely imagine myself going back, especially because it is free and who doesn't love free stuff?! Hopefully they will continue to bring in new exhibitions and artwork throughout my years here, as I will be looking forward to a better experience than the last for every visit.



Do you agree/disagree with my views and inferences on this piece?

What is your opinion on eyepatches?

Know any good jokes?

Leave it in the comments!

   


10 comments:

  1. First off, why is John C. Reilly wearing an eyepatch and changing his name? Secondly, I almost picked that same piece to write about. I loved how it was placed near huge windows so sunlight would put blue and orange images across the floor and wall. The bottom of the stairs, next to it, had blue glass in it too. That space was one of my favorite corners of the entire musuem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha good call on John C. Reilly, I didn't see that until now. Also, you're right about the windows. The casting of light through the glass really did add another dimension to the piece. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I also really liked this piece, the only reason I didn't choose it was because there were so many people surrounding it. This piece of artwork is so cool looking, and looked amazing when the sun was shinning on it. And to agree with Jeremiah the artist does look a lot like John C. Reilly. That picture could be taken out of Stepbrothers when him and Will Ferrell are playing in the treehouse/boat at the end of the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I'm sorry for the delayed response.

      Delete
  3. This piece automatically drew my attention. The blue wavy glass reminded me of a clam amongst the vibrant blue ocean life. I completely agree with your claim, saying that the piece speaks about the fragility of reefs and oceanic life. Overall I agree with your analysis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment and I'm glad to hear you agree with my analysis.

      Delete
  4. I thought that this piece looked like a sea plant from the Discovery channel too! I spent some time looking at it but didn't think I could analyze it very well. You did a really good job and your blog is very entertaining. Eye patches... who doesn't love 'em?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, and I'm glad you like the blog!

      Delete
  5. I also love this piece. For the past two summers I have been commuting to Pittsburgh a few times a week, and on occasion I went to Phipps Conservatory, where several of this artist's pieces are featured. I love his work and was very excited to see it in the Palmer. Also, great job on the layout of your page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Malti, that's cool to here that he has pieces exhibited so close to where I live as well.

      Delete