Friday, September 7, 2012

Welcome to Curtin Call

So, first of all, welcome to the blog! This post will address the rhetorical choices that went in to the creation of Curtin Call as well as a little philosophizing at the end as an added bonus, enjoy!

Blog Title: When it came to titling this blog, the possibilities seemed endless. Questions such as, "Should it be witty?", "Should it include my name?", and "Should it be detailed or vague?" arose immediately. I decided that I should pick a title that connected to my life, directly, as it is right now. The choice became easy after that and I figured you can never go wrong with alliteration. And as Forrest Gump would say, "That's all I have to say about that."

Template: I chose my template purely off of what was visually pleasing to me. I am sure that I will mess with it continually throughout the lifespan of this blog, but, as of now, I chose a template that easily shows all of the necessary links, posts, and gadgets. This template also refrains from both oversimplification and unnecessary complexity. Some templates were much too minimalist and made the blog look empty and untouched, while other cluttered it up so bad that it looked like a 14 year old girl's newsfeed on FaceBook. I found a happy medium with this template and hopefully it works for you, the reader, as well.

Color: Right now I am leaving the blog with colors that appealed to me when I made it. They happen to be Penn State colors as well, so that definitely works towards the overall theme. However, I may eventually incorporate different colors, patterns, and backgrounds that are more visually pleasing.

Font: When it comes to the meat of the blog, I like functional fonts that don't distract the reader from the content. The choice fell to Arial, a very functional and easily readable font. For the title, however, I wanted a more distinct font. Syncopate seemed easily identifiable and simplistic while still maintaining a more stylized look.

Pages: I threw the pages on the sidebar among the other gadgets because I wasn't sure how pivotal that link would be to my blog. As I further develop the blog I will most likely expand this gadget. But, as of right now, the only page I have is a short bio about me.

Sharing/Finding: My Twitter name is up on the side in case people would like to see a different side of me other than the blog. Also, I put up a subscription gadget even though I have no idea what it does (I don't visit blogs much).

Links: The links are definitely a work in progress. I may decide to link to other peoples' blogs in my class or just other blogs I find on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment